It is a new method of shaping tempered laminated glass, without using heat. The idea is to make glass art more accessible and cheaper, using recycled materials. It allows users to shape a sheet of tempered laminated glass at low temperatures (without the use of ovens) and fixate the shape to obtain the desired form, curved and complex as it may be. Starting from a panel of laminated, tempered glass the user proceeds to break the glass and then shape it, cut it, or both as he desires. The glass can be broken over a shape, or subsequently placed as required. The middle section of the panel, the PVB sheet, holds the glass together during this phase. The fact that the glass is tempered prevents dangerous shards from forming and allows a better manipulation. After the shape is achieved, the glass is covered in a resin, giving the newly found shape rigidity and resistance. Now the form gains a new smoothness, given by the resin that penetrates the spaces between the broken portions of the glass. Flexiglass allows some advantages in the field of glass shaping and production: -The lack of need for high temperatures guarantees that even modest artists can use this process. -Flexiglass allows producers of tempered laminated glass to use compromised production lots, which are usually removed from retail. -The effect of the purposely broken is unique. -It allows for the shaping of large sheets of glass, limited only by the size a company can produce. -The resin can be colored and painted if the user desires so. -Flexiglass can take on almost any shape desired, in order of what the designer can handle. Flexiglass can become a very sustainable choice in glass art applications, varying from pure artwork to household design.
Other prizes 2016
- Reddot Award Design Concept | project CrickIT
- Reddot Award Design Concept | project QWERTYsofa
- Reddot Award Design Concept | project BALAMP
- IF Design Award | project BALAMP2015
- HONOURABLE MENTION LICC London International Creative Competition | project PLAN
- HONOURABLE MENTION LICC London International Creative Competition | project Hang-ON!
- 1st prize IQU Architetura e Cità – new uses and projects secton
- Online prize IQU2014
- SELECTED Roma Design Lab: Urban Factory - Fare Piazza | project Tyrus
- 3° PRIZE RI.U.SO. 03. Category : Architects , project Rigenerazione del parcheggio multpiano a San Salvo (CH)
- 1° PRIZE IDA AWARD Internatonal Design Award. Category: home interior products – furniture | project QWERTY
- 2° PRIZE IDA AWARD Internatonal Design Award. Category: Media and Home Electronics | project Urbana
- 2° PRIZE IDA AWARD Internatonal Design Award. Category: architecture – renovaton | project Rigenerazione del parcheggio multpiano a San Salvo (CH)
- HONOURABLE MENTION IDA AWARD Internatonal Design Award. Category: urban sustainable design | project Wheelly
- HONOURABLE MENTION IDA AWARD Internatonal Design Award. Category: home interior products – furniture | project Tabhole2013
- 1° PRIZE Premio Eco_Luoghi. Category: urban regeneraton (under 35), Project: Rigenerazione del parcheggio multpiano a San Salvo (CH)2012
- HONOURABLE MENTION MA PRIZE 2012 – Atlanta Internatonal Design Award for Wheelly
- HONOURABLE MENTION MA PRIZE 2012 – Atlanta Internatonal Design Award for Perez Inostroza House2011
- HONOURABLE MENTION Natonal Competition PIAZZA DEL POLO UNIVERSITARIO DELLA FOLCARA2010
- SELECTED YOUNG BLOOD annual of Young Italians talent in the World
- 2° PRIZE Natonal Competton RENEWAL OF PIAZZA GREGIS – Gorlago (BG)
- SHORTLISTED MACEF DESIGN AWARD Internatonal Design Competton for Scrap2009
- SELECTED “ITALIA IN GIAPPONE 09” project WinOt
- NOMINATION WELL TECH AWARD Internatonal Design Award. Category: quality of life | project Wheelly
- 1° PRIZE Limited partecipaton Competton RENEWAL OF PIAZZA DANTE – Teramo
- 3° PRIZE Natonal Competton RENEWAL OF PIAZZA DUOMO – Cerignola (FG)
- SHORTLISTED BLUE RIBBON DESIGN AWARD | project 4kans
- SHORTLISTED MACEF DESIGN AWARD AWARD Internatonal Design Competton | project ForKnelt2008
- 1° PRIZE MACEF DESIGN AWARD Internatonal Design Competton | project Din-ink2007
- HONOURABLE MENTION PROGETTI_OGGETTI_ ITINERARI DI SOSTENIBILITÀ. European Workshop | project Tree-bù2005
- 1° PRIZE Internatonal Competton TRA ARCHITETTURA E CITTÁ
- 1° PRIZE Logo Design Competton OASI DELLA FOCE DEL SALINE
- 1° PRIZE Design competton Culture of olive oil and oil mill architecture for insttute ARSSA1998
- Selected work for frontpage of calendar for the 50° Anniversary of Human Rights Unesco
Photo Credit: Concepticonstudio
We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website.
You can find out more about which cookies we are using or switch them off in settings.
Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.
Please enable Strictly Necessary Cookies first so that we can save your preferences!